Managing an entire organisation’s infrastructure is no piece of cake. Setting up the physical hardware is only the tip of the iceberg, dig deeper and we see that:
- You need to provision it with appropriate software and make arrangements for security.
- Furthermore, if some expansion is underway, you need to bring in more infrastructure, conduct tests to deploy a new feature.
- In other cases, permissions and sanctions may be required from the IT department.
On cloud computing and automation, we enter a different realm. Cloud automation is a step ahead, enhancing the benefits of cloud computing with efficiency, flexibility and cost savings.
“Cloud Automation is a broad term comprising tools and processes used by an organisation to reduce the manual efforts involved with provisioning and managing cloud computing workloads. It is equivalently efficient for public, private or hybrid cloud environment.”
Cloud automation assists businesses in leveraging the benefits of orchestrating, computing and automation to free the organisation of several hurdles and headaches involved in setting up and deploying data centers, Virtual machine clusters and setting up virtual networks manually within the organisation. The challenges involved include:
- Complicated workflow that may be marred by errors which will require troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting may lead to further delays in project completion
- Exposure to security risks that may make an organisation vulnerable
- Manual, time-consuming and often involves repeated tasks
- No economies of scale available as physical infrastructure is limited and further deployment can require large cost and time commitments
With cloud automation:
- Cost savings can be significant,
- The deployment can be completed in a matter of hours, and
- There is no dearth of options which a firm cannot avail of. It can choose any number of vendors in any combination possible whether public, private or hybrid given the number of operators and type of cloud environments available.
Let’s assess how cloud automation helps in toning down IT infrastructure costs:
No manual Deployment or Provisioning Required
The process of cloud deployment is completely automatic and in certain cases, no manual intervention not be required to complete the loop. Consider it the next logical and essential step for organisations who want to use computer resources more efficiently. Staff requirements are lowered, and the time between the request and actual deployment can be reduced from days to hours or even minutes. Administrative overheads are slashed and new opportunities can be grabbed without much delay. All the cumbersome stages of physical setup are avoided. This allows firms to concentrate more on their core areas yielding better performance.
Continuity in Integration and Deployment of Code
Many firms put new code into production several times a day. Here, cloud automation is able to ensure a certain fluidity in operations. The code passes the necessary tests and oversight during continuous deployment. Continuous integration is the process of pushing code to a repository several times a day and testing it automatically. The benefits of continuous integration and deployment are initiated only via cloud automation. Cloud integration further helps in running virtual servers as testing environments, running the tests, and finally bringing down the testing servers automatically without any intervention. This eases and simplifies the complexities involved in development and testing.
Economies of Scale
Using cloud automation techniques, from the inception of an organisation can lend it an edge over its competitors. It helps in foregoing the setting up of physical infrastructure as services can be hired and delays in decision making can be avoided. A flexible IT infrastructure can help in adjusting to dynamic needs. In other words, real business needs can be matched to the current infrastructure deployment. Automated scaling makes a growing organisation nimble footed. The load monitoring software can be integrated with a cloud platform’s API and the organization can supply its needs with the fully provisioned server resources deployed automatically. Infrastructure deployments can grow and shrink to fit into the current organisational needs.
Read more about cloud automation in our dedicated post.
IndiQus is a complete cloud-first and cloud-native solution suite for service providers, enterprises and data-first businesses to set up, manage, execute, govern and automate cloud customer lifecycle and workflows. It is an ideal solution that provides turnkey solutions to build, deploy and manage hybrid and multi-cloud workloads.
“We are a ‘born in the cloud’ team having deep expertise in cloud infrastructure, hybrid and private clouds, cloud security, containers, big data analytics and automation. We work at the convergence of information technology and business to empower cloud service providers, enterprises and digitally-enabled businesses with cloud excellence.”